Commercial Signs Los Angeles
With iconic shopping centers and malls around the world, including 38 across the United States, Westfield Corporation is one of the world’s leading shopping center enterprises. The company prides themselves on “integrating the best in fashion, food, leisure, entertainment and digital technology with the world’s leading retail brands.”
SCOPE of PARTNERSHIP
Raider Signage has been honored to manage some key aspects of Westfield’s advertising portfolio. By administering aspects of signage design, construction, development, management, and marketing, our sign company ensures Westfield’s centers constantly meet the highest expectations of today’s retailers and consumers.
In October, 2014, Westfield hired Raider Signage for a large rotating digital LED Message Advertising D in Santa Ana, CA. The project posed several significant challenges affecting scheduling, permits, equipment, and installation.
UNIQUE PROBLEMS/CHALLENGES & SOLUTIONS
- Because the project was scheduled for the mall holiday season, contractors had to close off large areas of the interior and work in the middle of the night to safeguard the public.
- Cleanliness was also a priority. Because most of the materials and tools necessary for the project had to be out of sight every morning prior to the mall opening, crews made sure to be tidy and organized. They also barricaded the main work area during regular business hours to ensure public safety.
- Because Thanksgiving Break was right around the corner, Raider’s crews had to work fast to complete installation of the framework for the digital signage.
Westfield’s digital signage design ultimately involved multiple trades like electrical and steel. So, in addition to the sign crews, Raider completely handled procuring all of the permits required, taking the burden off of the client.
The unusual height of the interior sign demanded a very tall specialized lift. Even big lift companies stock very limited quantities of these lifts, but because of Raider’s longtime relationships with their vendors, they were able to secure the lift and meet the project schedule without a hitch.
For this project, installation was a bit like a duck paddling furiously under the surface but presenting an unruffled surface appearance. Despite several installation challenges, the crews at Raider presented a flawless result, on schedule.
- The location of installation – with its tight turns, multiple doorways, and limited maneuvering space – posed a unique challenge for signage solutions. Propane, steel plates, and a 26 foot-long hanging iron were to be welded after being raised by two 60-foot boom lifts and a 70-foot grade. However, because the workspace width was one foot too tight, Raider had to change plans mid-installation:
Using their longstanding connections, Raider Signage tracked down two Genie 53-foot Scissor lifts that got the job done: After building a rack to hold the steel, certified crews used the larger lifts along with the Boom lift, welded the metal, and ran all the electrical to the board area. Then, necessary cutouts in the drywall for the electrical as well as the fiberglass columns were patched and painted for a perfect match with the interior walls.
- Because of the tight schedule, the last day of installation for the framework of the digital display was very long. Raider’s certified crews had to get all equipment out by 8 am the next day after working for 12 hours straight including six hours of moving equipment. But all was done on time with no issues.
- The measurements of the custom cabinets and Alumicore wrapping for the LED boards and sign rotator were different than expected from the signage design – by as much as 5 inches. In mid-February, after the electronics shipped, the on-site assembly crew had to scrap most of the pre-fabrication and remake it on-site.
- Crews also needed to route the back side of the Alumicore for a perfect bend as well as add perforation in many locations for the addition of speakers in the rotator.
After many additional hours and dedication from Raider’s fabrication and installation crew, the sign company completed on time, without inconveniencing the client or incurring additional costs.
Working with Raider Signage on the LED Digital Display Project at Westfield Main Place Mall was very streamlined. I’ve worked with numerous Signage vendors in the past, and Raider Signage’s performance, attention to detail and personalized customer service is top notch! They are proactive in ways a project manager needs a sub to be for success. I will definitely be working with them again
At Raider, all of our projects are completed with professionalism, finesse, and excellence in client service — no matter the challenge. We are unflappable! W e can lift the burden of your next project and make it a thing of beauty. Contact us today to see how our signage solutions can help your company shine.